More after the jump...
Well, here it is folks. The schedule was released May 18th at the annual Garnet Blades Golf Tournament at Mohawk Country Club. A few note worthy points to take away from this:
- The season will be opened up against Merrimack, a top 5 team for much of last year. Union will be playing them twice.
- Union will appear in the Sheraton/TD Bank Catamount Cup on Dec. 29-30. They will face Hockey East teams Vermont and Merrimack.
- Union will take on Bowling Green and Lake Superior State, both out of the CCHA (pronounced the "ch-cha").
- Union and RPI will play a non-conference game at the Albany Times-Union Center on Jan. 26. This will be the first time the two teams have met in the arena since Nov. 11, 1997.
- As opposed to last year, Union will be playing a home game in the month of December.
- Union will playing Penn State in their inaugural season before they become a "Big 10" team. They are certainly the wildcard of the schedule.
- 14 home game and 20 away games.
- Not necessarily taken from this but still relavent, Union will be going into next year more highly ranked than they have ever been.
This could be considered a less intimidating schedule than last year but, in college hockey, no schedule is easy. Next year will certainly be interesting considering the transition of personel and the teams Union will face.
Keep checking the blog every now and again to see if there is any new information regarding the team. I will do my best to get information on the incoming freshman and anything else new and interesting.